DraftAce Blog

Year round coverage of the NFL Draft.

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Draft Class: Running Backs

Yesterday I went through my list of the top 10 quarterback prospects. Today its time for the running backs.

Chris Wells tops my draft board, and it's an easy decision. No other play in the draft has his combination of size, speed and athleticism. He has the same potential as recent top-10 picks Adrian Peterson and Darren McFadden, but injury concerns will likely cause teams to pass over him early in round one.

Donald Brown, who has steadily risen up the draft board, is number two on my board. It was a tough decision to move him ahead of Knowshon Moreno, but in the end I would be more comfortable making Brown a feature back in my offense. He's every bit as athletic as Moreno and I love his work ethic. He's a coaches dream, which could easily cause some team to fall in love with him and select him higher than expected.

Moreno is the third running back on the board, receiving a late 1st-round grade. I rate him slightly lower than Brown only because of Brown's exceptional work ethic and attitude. That isn't to say that Moreno has character concerns by any means, its simply a reflection of Brown's willingness to go above and beyond what is expected of him. Moreno is an elite athlete, but I have questions about his toughness. He isn't the type that can run between the tackles, meaning he needs to be paired with another bigger, stronger running back to be truly effective.

LeSean McCoy ranks 4th on my board, receiving an early 2nd-round grade. I like McCoy, but I'm concerned about his running style. A bit reckless and I wonder how he'll hold up at the next level. His instincts aren't great and he doesn't always hit holes as they open up. I would have liked to see him stay in school for at least another year to work on that. He's worth a second round pick, but I don't think he'll be a Matt Forte-like prospect that steps in and makes an immediate impact.

Andre Brown ranks 5th and receives a 3rd-round grade. Brown has risen up the board this offseason, to the point where I feel he is now overrated. He has an NFL body but there are serious injury concerns. I don't see him as the type that can carry the load at the next level. However, if paired with a more athletic outside runner (a Knowshon Moreno, for example) he could be a nice complimentary back.

Also receiving a 3rd-round grade is Shonn Greene. This past season for the Hawkeyes Greene played like a 1st rounder. He's a power runner that builds up a head of steam and is tough to bring down. However, I have concerns about the fact that he only played one year at the D-I level and is already 24. The fact that we haven't really seen a full body of work from him gives me hesitation and I would prefer to wait until the 3rd-round to select him where I would be satisfied if all he turns out to be is an adquate backup.

I gave Rashad Jennings a 3rd-round grade for similar reasons as Greene. Coming from an FCS program, we haven't seen what Jennings can do against top competition. We know he has the size to take his game to the next level, but will he still be a force when going up against bigger defenders. Ultimately I think the answer is no, but I would be willing to take a chance on him in the late 3rd-round.

Jeremiah Johnson intrigues me. He's undersized but he was nothing but productive when on the field in 2008. Durability is an issue, but I would be willing to take a chance in the late 3rd-round. He could be a nice backup at the next level.

Gartrell Johnson receives a 4th-round grade, but I think he's one of the top sleepers in this draft class. He's an absolute beast with the football in his hands. He's a powerful downhill runner and actually has more speed on the field that you'd expect from his forty time. He probably isn't going to be a starter in the NFL, but he'll find a place a short-yardage back and could be the type of touchdown vulture that makes a big impact in fantasy leagues.

Rounding out my top 10 is Javon Ringer. Early in the 2008 season Ringer was taking full advantage of his first year as the full-time starter and looked like a potential 1st-round pick. However, he came down to earth when matched up against legitimate collegiate defenses such as Penn State and Ohio State and his stock took a nose dive. Ringer can be productive, but he simply doesn't have the build to be a starter at the next level. He likes to run between the tackles, but his frame simply won't hold up with that type of pounding in the NFL.

So there you go... my top 10 running backs fo 2009.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home